Monday, June 02, 2003

top spin

i learned to play tennis yesterday. well, sort of learned. but having never been sporty, i've always had suspicions about the extent of my coordination- it's weird, i always said i wanted to marry someone who would challenge me, but i always thought it would be something like, "oh, you go to poetry readings too, but different ones than me?!? how surprising and challenging you make my life!" i didn't think i'd be taken out of my comfort zone and put in foreign places like tennis courts and made to defend myself as little balls flew at my face.

and yet i'm thoroughly enjoying myself. (and burning fat!) it is so FUN being best friends with someone who knows a lot about things that are totally outside my realm. it is fun knowing a lot about things that are totally outside his realm as well. i think lately i've been anxious about being done with school, and wondering whether my mind will become dull and oozy now that i've left academia. and yet all of these tiny little seemingly inconsequential things (ie yesterday's hilarity regarding the hubble telescope) keep reminding me that although i've finished the degree, i don't know everything quite yet!

i know this "continuing education" theme keeps coming up in my posts and even my emails and conversations, but i've been an english major for so long now that it's easy to think that that is my one and only strong point. and i don't think that's true. i want to reinvent! and then reinvent again!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home