Saturday, January 31, 2004

here in dubai

tomorrow's my nikah... it's going to be exciting. i mean, i know my entire life will be different after the wedding, but after the nikah, will things really change? i wonder... we'll be married, and that is a huge change, of course... but until the wedding i'll still be just living at home and doing the usual.... every year, the day before my birthday, i wonder, "will 24 feel different from 23? will 25 feel different from 24?" so now i'm wondering, "will nikah-fied feel different than not nikah-fied?" i can't wait to find out :) :)

we did the forms and stuff last night, and it was completely different than i had expected. i know i, as the bride, needed two witnesses to say that i was entering the nikah out of my own happiness, etc etc, but what i did not expect was that my part in the whole nikah process was actually quite similar to taher's- and just as active. true, on the big day itself, he's the one in front of my dad and the person doing the nikah, and it would seem that he is the only one of the two of us actually doing anything- while i just sit and observe. but now that i know the behind-the-scenes of the nikah process, i have changed my mind completely. and like my part a whole lot more.

because now i understand that before the nikah can even take place, before the day can even arrive, the girl has to swear an oath that is like a prerequisite to the entire proceedings... and it goes, basically, like this- "i am entering this nikah willingly and i am giving these two witnesses the authority to speak on my behalf and say so, at the actual time of the nikah. i am also giving my father the authority to be the person to whom taher makes his oath, at the nikah."

so. i'm looking forward to tomorrow, to the big subgus (parade), to the intimate majlis, to aqa moula of course!, to qadam bosi. and to the nikah as well ;)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home