Friday, October 29, 2004

sorry it's been so long

as zainab put it, i've been slacking. no posts in a long time! but then again, i really only want to post if the mood strikes, and for some reason it hasn't lately.

yesterday, though, it was strange. i suddenly had a yearning for my house, for the way my parents' bedroom looks when it's late afternoon. i could see it, smell it. i could feel it. and more than anything i wanted to be there.

and then later that same day, i remembered visiting taher at U of I. i always visited him in the fall, and it was the kind of weather where you don't need a coat but you need gloves and a scarf. that autumn clarity is my favorite weather ever. here in bangkok, with its never-ending heat wave, i miss it all the more. i suddenly yearned for those days of walking around the immense campus with him, feeling very, very awake because of the chill in the air.

i don't know why these little things came to me so suddenly. i was reading a very good book, sitting in a cool breeze in our family room, and taher was right there with me. i was content with everything here. but that yearning, for my parents' house, for chicago weather, was real. and it made me happy because, as pleased as i feel about living in bangkok, i'm reminded of how much i will return to when we go home to chicago.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home