Wednesday, May 25, 2005

good stuff

i had lunch yesterday with my friend steve- i told him if i could interview any celebrity, it would be tracey chapman. he was surprised- he reminded me that in college i was swooning over cat stevens and bob dylan too much to contemplate singers who were not 70's icons.

don't know if this post is about good lyrics or good memories, maybe both... lunch was nice, just having someone who knew me when i was at that stage, at that age- made me remember what i was like 5 years ago, made me remember how i dressed and what i loved and who i was- kind of like looking at my brother or sister in law or uncle and suddenly realizing, "hey, you knew me when i was a tiny pink newborn! or when i was only 17 years old, awkward and high-schoolish! or when i was five and loved it when you pushed me on the swings!" it's a good thing, it's good stuff. having people around me who remind me that i am a big old composition of all these other, former-yet-still-present zahras.

and then throw music into the mix- hear some lyrics and feel a rush of associated memories. i can still smell my apartment in cairo if i hear tracey. i can still feel angie's down comforter under my feet and playing cards in my hands if i hear leonard cohen.

oh, leonard! must dedicate a post to leonard some day soon. he is a too well-kept secret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home