Sunday, April 16, 2006

suddenly

i was driving the other day and realized that my high school 10-year reunion is this year! i'm 27, which is TEN ENTIRE YEARS older than 17!

i wonder if i'll go. i'm still in contact with my friends from high school - the ones i liked the most, anyway. so there isn't any reason to go, really. but certainly, it has me thinking lately.

i know that between high school graduation and now, i've crammed in college and egypt and a master's degree and a wedding and thailand and the creation of zahra ink... and a thousand trips abroad... and a completely new self-awareness... and contentment. and a much higher level of self-respect. and some of the best friends a person could hope for. and 300 books. and a lot of other things. ten years is a long time.

when i read other women's blogs, i find that many of them think that your 20's are essentially different than your 3o's, which are different than your 40's. 20's are about freedom, 30's are about strength, 40's are about peace. different people use different words, but that is the basic idea.

i have thought a lot about whether i agree with this- on the one hand, i do. my 20's have been incredibly free. they have been the period in my life when i went far away to live and found that i could learn a language and adopt a foreign city without difficulty. they are the time when my appearance underwent the most dramatic changes, and i found how easy it is to reinvent myself. they are the time when i fell in love and was the recipient of love and i basically realized that i am capable of anything and that anything is possible.

my 20's were also the period when i questioned myself, when i was more aware of myself- in a way that i never was ten years ago, in high school. i no longer coasted through life, as i did at 17. i thought my way through it instead. at times, i over-thought my way through it.

however i am not sure that three years from now, i will leave the Freedom decade and enter the Strength one. and ten years after that, i will find Peace. i think strength and peace are already in my life; perhaps all three are present now, and will swell larger and fill my life more as i travel through it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Taher said...

so far, your twenties have been the best years of my life.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home